[RC] riding with wolves??? - sherman

My only knowledge of riding with wolves is secondhand from our Mongolian foreign exchange student, Baagii.  Mongolia has many, many wolves even though they are legal to hunt and they are hunted primarily to keep the numbers down because they kill so much of the livestock including the horses. Baagii told me most Mongolian horses die as mid-teenagers, likely as they become weak they are picked off by the wolves. He & a group of cousins were tracked by a pack of wolves while on a 4 day cross country trip on horseback. A 12 yr old cousin actually slept on the horse at night as he was afraid he’d be eaten if he got off. Baagii, 14 at the time, was one of the oldest on the trip. They were in fear of their lives only while off the horses and especially at night while they slept, so they took turns keeping watch.

Kathy

The posts on cougars have been very interesting, and I wanted to ask what I should know about riding with wolves. Wolves have been spotted for the first time in years in the woods that border my property and I wonder if they would ever bother me and my horse.

My horse is not afraid of anything and is used to riding past coyotes, foxes, big dogs, deer, and cows. She either ignores them or chases them... I'm assuming wolves are no different. I've read that they're pretty shy, so I've assumed that they will leave us alone. Is that right?

I do ride with a little bell on her breastcollar (to warn hunters that we're coming... I'm more worried about them than I am about wild animals!!!) but I don't carry a weapon or anything like that... just a can of rocks to shake at dogs.