Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:56 PM
Subject: [RC] re: Newbie-Moriah

I can't say enough positive about cross training and I must admit that I came very late to this epiphany.  I rode endurance rides for 17 years on half broke, barely under-control horses.  I loved them dearly and rode many wonderful, successful miles this way.  However, when I moved back to Wyoming I became friends with an eventer and dressage instructor.  She convinced me that I might want to be able to rate my endurance horses :)  or have them move laterally off my leg or be able to post on either diagonal or instantly pick up either lead.  I thought about Dave Nicholson making typically irreverent comments about how endurance riders have no equestrian skills.  As usual, he's often correct...even when we hate to hear it.  Anyhow, I very reluctantly let my new friend talk me into taking dressage lessons with my green broke endurance hopeful.  I HATE arenas.  So this was really hard for me.  Since then I take at least monthly lessons or clinics in either dressage or cavaletti.  I'm not very good, but I now know how much difference it has made in my horses.  It has also made it possible for me to continue some riding during a time when I have been struggling with several physical problems.  I don't believe I could have done this without my dressage lessons.