From: Mary Krauss <lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   breeding pigeon-toed horse for endurance?

For a couple of years now I've been contemplating breeding my older
mare primarily because I'd like a foal with her kind of courage and
attitude.  The mare herself was mistreated early-on and has some
training issues, but her brain is fundamentally solid--and once we're
on the trail she's all business.  Salima is  eager and strong and
brave, yet responsive to the lightest cue--a blast to ride in the
dressage arena and on the trail.  She was a fabulous mother to her
first foal (a half-Andalusian who is doing well in local  dressage
shows) .

Her conformation is fabulous in lots of ways:  big-boned legs, strong
chest, well-sprung ribs, wide short back, round hind-end, terrific
feet.  She's CMK I've discovered for what that's worth. (Salima
Shoruk is her reg. name if anyone wants to look her up.)  Her single
greatest fault is that she toes-in in front.  Would one resist
breeding her for that fault?  I don't really know how bad a flaw it
is--she's not gotten to put in a lot of miles due to MY life's limits
during her best years--and now she has arthritis from an old injury--
so I don't know if being toed-in would have broken her down over lots
of miles.  I also don't know the likelihood of being able to avoid
passing on this conformational problem through careful selection of a
stallion.

Thank you for your advice  :-)

(While you're at it, if it DOES seem like a g ood idea, I'll be
shopping around for a good love-match for her, so ideas of a smart
and steady, athletic stallion would be welcome.)

Mary K. (who finally climbed aboard almost-five-year-old Leo
yesterday.  Yes Nikki and Joanne, if you're reading this, WE DID IT!)