RE: [RC] [RC] slaughter vs consumption - Kathie Ford

Jessica, slaughter is a very controversial subject and emotional one. I personally am one that is against it as I firmly believe that horses were never meant as part of the food chain. My own personal beliefs as I am a christian believer and have read the book thoroughly. It clearly states that for me. However, that being said those are just my own beliefs and I will state them but accept other points of view as well.

Unwanted horses are at a crisis point nontheless. Responsiblity is a key issue once you have them. I have 10 myself. Take good care of them, go with out willingly but have a not so bad life. HOwever, my personal committment is thorough and my decision when the time comes is euthanisia by choice.

My personal concerns are not just transport to a slaughterhouse but moreso what happens to them when they are off loaded from the truck. I wonder how many people speaking out have actually gone to a slaughterhouse or researched and seen the actually photos documented, or video documented descriptions of what is really happening to these animals once there.

Unfortunately, horses have strong instincts. They also have brains, hearts, nervous systems and can smell death and blood. They know when something bad will happen.

I wonder how many people have watched as they are forced/poked and prodded into the last chute and fall down in a panic, scrambling to get back up while they are being "stunned". Many times the shot is missed and the horse is horribly injured in this phase but not dead yet. Many are hung to bleed out while still somewhat alive.

I have a hard time believing or being convinced this is "humane". It is not. It is horrific and they suffer and know what that they will die. It is not quiet, nor peaceful, nor deserved.

So needless to say for my own personal choice I do not support that at all. I also do not support horse meat as a "delicacy" either. I can understand if a country, town, village is starving. Then they need to eat what they can to survive.

But we must really "view" all the facts before anybody can really have a view.

The video that displayed the skin, complete with ears still attached made my stomach hurt.

Horses have helped so many of us. If they are in our care, they deserve a peaceful end not a horrific one for someones dinner.

Euthanisia is not really expensive. $65.00 where I live and well worth it for what our horses have given to us.

Anyway, I wish there were some way to all sit down together, view what really happens and then have an open/honest discussion with a better solution.

Overbreeding in many industries is one of the first to be curtailed though. I think most of us agree on that alone.

jmho,
kathie