Re: [RC] [RC] [SPAM] RE: [RC] [RC] slaughter vs. consumption - Barbara McCrary

I like your idea! Then the city folks would have a taste of what country folks have to deal with. So far, our daughter has lost two goats out of her pens. Her husband had to extend the fences up to about 10' high, where the originals were only high enough to keep the goats IN, not the lion OUT. I can't say whether some of our calf losses went the same way, because all we have is a diminished count, but no proof. The goat incident had proof. I love cats, and there is nothing I would love more than having a pet mountain lion. However, we ARE in the livestock business and I don't see a lion becoming a pet anytime soon.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Smith, Dave" <dsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jessica Cameron" <jjcameron@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <ebeyrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rainbowmeadowsranch@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:35 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] [SPAM] RE: [RC] [RC] slaughter vs. consumption

The feel-good ban on horse slaughter reminds me of a vote here in California about five years ago which banned the hunting of mountain lions. Interestingly, the people who voted for the ban came from the state's largest cities: L.A., San Diego, San Francisco and Sacramento. People who actually live in lion country overwhelmingly opposed the ban. So, rather than control the lion population via a set number based on scientific management of surplus lions to be harvested by hunters, the big city dwellers opted on a feel-food vote to eliminate any control at all. As a consequence, those of us who live in lion land have witnessed a significant increase in lion encounters with people (several of whom have been killed) and the loss of dogs, cats and livestock. Unfortunately, no politician has yet agreed to my suggestion that we humanely trap problem lions out here in the sticks and ship them to large cities where they could be set loose in big city parks to prey on city dogs, cats and kids. The city folk want an abundance of lions, they would get an abundance of lions. Funny how they don't like my idea.