[RC] euthanization - Karen Everhart

I think everyone has to begin thinking ahead and be proactive, rather than reactive.  Have you made provisions for your own end of life?  Do you have a Trust or a Will completed?  What happens to your horses (or other animals) then?  What horrors might they face, should you die?  Providing for them at the time of their death might be a mute issue then.  So, if we don't think ahead to be able to pay for some of life's guaranteed events (taxes and death come to mind), then who would presume we would think ahead to care for our animals?  As Dr. Q said, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.

If the cost to cremate is $1400.00 and your horse is lucky enough to live 25 years, then saving $56.00 per year will give you the funds needed, and if you place the money in a savings account with interest, you can afford a very nice urn should one desire to keep her.

I groan silently when adopters apply for a horse and when asked to donate an amount to support our continued rescue activities, they say they can't afford more than $100.00.  At that point they "no longer qualify" to adopt.  If they can't afford to support rescue operations when they are obtaining a "free" horse, then they can't afford the horse.

Here at our ranch we offer an opportunity for individuals to bring their chronically ill or old horse, enjoy a quiet memorial, stand by during euthanasia and remain in the quiet of a beautiful valley to say their goodbye's.  The horse is then buried.  This requires pre-planning, just as it does for you to have the peace of mind that your end-of-life is how you want it to be.  Dead horses cannot be transported to the ranch.  So this means that decision are made before it becomes a "race to the end".  Cost is around $500.00 and includes the Vet fees.

Karen Everhart MEd
President
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082