Re: [RC] starved mare and scratches - Don Huston

Hello Karen,
I have only dealt with 5-6 cases of scratches and they have all been on the back of the pasterns below the fetlocks, never higher up. I don't know if that matters but maybe your horse has something different? I used the same treatment on all the horses but only got to see complete healing on one, mine and it took almost a year, the others were sold before but were getting better. Just like my unorthodox use of PennG my scratches treatment is equally unorthodox and is fondly dubbed "the gooey treatment". The vet sold me some expensive cortisone cream (gooey), the cowboys swore by captan powder (kills fungus on roses) mixed with bag balm (gooey) or water (pasty), corona salve, kenalog cream, dermafaz and of course furazone, betadine, shrieners (sp?), etc. I have no idea which ones did or did not work but the gooey part softened the white crusty stuff and I would scratch some off with my fingernails (sometimes it would bleed) then spray betadine or ? then add whatever gooey stuff I was using at the time then go ride. I rarely totally cleaned the area, just scratch and goo and go. On all the horses it was months before the areas were about half size and hair was growing back. On my horse it came down to one rear leg that had a horizontal line of crusty stuff about 1/4" wide x 2" long in a crease of the pastern that hung on for months then finally it was gone. A one-rat gooey success story. Good luck with yours cause it always helps to have a little.