Subject: [RC]   Horse conformation
From: "Burnett, Elly" <egburnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, March 05, 2007 8:17 pm
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've started looking (much to my husband's chagrin) and have found a few potential horses scattered about the state.

The one that seems the most promising so far has great conformation from just a conformation standpoint.  I did the classic measurements of head, neck, midsection and hip, and everything looks good so far.  He's got perfectly equivalent measurements all around, but I don't know if he should have a short back.  His shoulder is fairly long and sloping, and he's got good-sized black feet.  His legs are pretty skinny (not overly so), but I'm a lightweight so I don't see that being problematic.

What should I look for as far as conformation?  I know the back is important, as well as good feet.  But after that, I'm clueless.

I do know that a good mind is important, but I'd like some pointers for picking and choosing conformationally.

Thanks,
Elly
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=