Re: [RC] [RC] Conformation - Jennifer Adam

Meanwhile, same vet told me Kaboot wasn't
really built to handle endurance (didn't like his knees) and he competed
11 years and 3050 miles, 7 100's. His knees were never a problem.

I still look for a horse with good conformation because - all things being equal, which of course we know they aren't - good conformation will increase the odds that the horse will be sound and athletic. (It's still no guarantee). *However*, simply because all things are never equal - there are so many factors to consider when choosing a horse for *any* purpose. Movement, intelligence, personality, willingness, heart, health, conformation, soundness, training, attitude, desire... and luck... all influence how successful any horse can be, IMHO. And I've always heard that if a horse has a conformation flaw, odds are he has developed a way to compensate for that flaw or he has another flaw that offsets it. That's why we see horses with less than perfect conformation becoming excellent athletes when their photos perhaps contradict their performances. They've simply managed to compensate for their physical quirks. One of the smoothest horses I've ever ridden had crooked legs and bowed knees - but he felt like riding a rocking chair. I still wouldn't pick him to be my endurance horse, though. I took lessons on a hunter/jumper that was so rough to ride my teeth would click - but she could fly over any fence. And some of the horses I've been told "had perfect conformation" were either too lazy, crazy, dumb or clumsy to make good athletes (although you can line them up in a sandy arena without any problem :P).

If a horse was suitable in other aspects, and if I liked the horse and felt that he would like endurance - then I would buy him even if he had a few minor conformation faults. But I wouldn't choose a horse with bad conformation just on the off chance that he might be athletic and sound anyway.

My personal criteria:
1. eye/expression/attitude
2. conformation and movement (to me they are linked and equally important)
3. intelligence/willingness
4. my overall impression - hard to define, but important to me - if the horse just seems to grab my attention, if I like him and feel that "click" - then I know he (or she) is the one for me!

JMHO -
Jen and the wild bunch - who are so covered in mud and long winter hair right now that you can't see what they look like anyway - sigh.

Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more?.then map the best route! http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag1&FORM=MGAC01