Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Putrid pus from left nostril

Hi Dyane,

Sometimes an infection can set up in the guttural pouches.  When this happens, for some horses, it can require an endoscope up the nostril, through the meatus and the answer will be immediately clear.  The vet can then flush the guttural pouch with the appropriate antibiotic (usually Vanguard), and lavage the larynx which might show some involvement.  The procedure might need repeated two or three times over a week or two period.  For guttual pouch involvement, this might be the only thing that will work, as systemic anitbiotics usually won't clear a true guttural pouch infection.

Endoscope.

Good luck,
Frank