RE: [RC] Empirical evidence versus statistics - Bob Morris

Bruce:

Thank you for the very interesting discourse "Empirical
evidence versus statistics"

You bring to the fore some very pertinent arguments. For
instance:
"Our rules and "long term philosophy" in this sport, I
think, are
predominantly based on our empirical experiences over the
last 50 years,
and influenced by veterinary insight/science. I think that
in a small
amateur sport such as ours, we are confined, for now, to
making many of
our policy decisions based largely on empirical experience,
with
experimental data playing a lesser role, due to it's
scarcity and
inherent variables. AERC has no professional statistician or
clinical
researchers on staff, that I know of."

I agree our empirical experiences influenced by veterinary
insight/science has played a great part in past decisions
regarding the competition rules of conduct. But invariably
these empirical experience governed rules changes have been
introduced in a manner such as; action x has produced
results y which are not completely satisfactory for our
sport, thus if we modify x to x1 state we think our results
y1 will be more acceptable.

In the current discussion of modifying a particular rule,
there has been no presentation of what fault is currently
perceived with the rule as it is.

A few questions on this matter:
1. Is there a concern for the numbers of equines taking a
lengthy period for recovery after crossing the finish line?
2. Are there more equines presenting for intervention post
finish than at interim vet checks?
3. Could we have the rationale behind the WH Committee's
decision for the change? What conditions in our sport
preceded the decision?
4. Do you really expect this rule change to have a
noticeable effect on our sport?

I am not against the rule revision but do want to know the
background for the sudden interest in the changing of a rule
that has been effective for several decades. I am against
change for the sake of change.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises