RE: [RC] Progress - Bob Morris

Bruce:

You stated "10)  A recent rule proposal that will likely
pass, will require
that a horse meet criteria within 30 minutes of the finish
as opposed to
60 minutes. This will influence those who race harder later
in the ride
when fatigue is at it's greatest."

On what basis did you determine that such a change in the
rule will be of benefit to the equines participating in our
sport?

Has there been any statistical or even anecdotal
determination that supports such a move?

Remember that our rule 6.2.1 says  "Because
an equine at the finish line is not, in actuality, going on-
and not going into the wilderness far from veterinary
aid-the
standards for completion need not be as strict as those on
the
trail,"

On what basis are you changing that long term philosophy?
Since you also state "The statistics that show that far and
away the majority of
horses that die at rides are either being ridden well within
their
limitations, or die from some occurrence entirely unrelated
to riding.
(Fractured leg from a kick, CVAs, falls, blister beetle
poisoning,
spontaneous spinal fracture, and the list goes on)  Oddly,
the "racing"
horses don't seem to die very often.
     5) The post mortem results that show that almost none
of the
horses reflect siginificant ulcerative disease." what is
your justification for this proposed major change?

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID