[RC] Progress - Bruce Weary

It's been fun reading the memories put forth about the 1987 ROC, and other stories about the "good old days", as I am old enough to remember some of them. However, I disagree with the opinions put forth that there has been no significant progress in horse welfare measures since that time. Here is a short list of things that have come into existence since the 1987 ROC:
1) The Welfare of the Horse Committee, of which I'm honored to be a member.
2) The Pride Project
3) The AERC fund that will pay for a post-mortem on any horse that dies at a ride.
4) The statistics that show that far and away the majority of horses that die at rides are either being ridden well within their limitations, or die from some occurrence entirely unrelated to riding. (Fractured leg from a kick, CVAs, falls, blister beetle poisoning, spontaneous spinal fracture, and the list goes on) Oddly, the "racing" horses don't seem to die very often. 5) The post mortem results that show that almost none of the horses reflect siginificant ulcerative disease.
6) Susan Garlinghouse's study that showed the correlation between body condition score and completion rates.
7) Complete death reports written by a certified AERC veterinarian and published in Endurance News.
8) WSTF recently raised the minimum participation age to 6 for the Tevis, and instituted mileage prerequisites for the rider before entering.
9) There has been a steady decrease in pulse criteria, now most commonly 60 or even 56.
10) A recent rule proposal that will likely pass, will require that a horse meet criteria within 30 minutes of the finish as opposed to 60 minutes. This will influence those who race harder later in the ride when fatigue is at it's greatest.
I could go on.
I have heard it said that when we are convinced of an opinion, we will accept weak evidence in it's favor, and ignore strong evidence to the contrary.
Cindy Collins said: " I do believe that good people with good intentions are trying hard to make things safer for horses...just not sure they've accomplished that much in changing people's basic personality and behavior."
I think there are only so many human factors we can control or effectively influence. Is there anyone else who agrees that the job of AERC is "changing people's basic personality and behavior"? This ought to be a lively discussion............... Dr Q