[RC] re: ROC 1987-musings - Cindy Collins

I wasn't there, but I heard first hand reports at the time and I think everyone is accurately describing the reasons for non-completion.? The trail was put together in sections by different people without an overview of the entire course.? It was steep and rocky.? It was very hot.? However, that's not what struck me (and another friend) as I read these answers.? What got to me is the lack of whining and complaining.? The graciousness and "cowboy up" attitude of the stories told by people who did not complete... the difference between those people and many of our current riders...just screamed out to me.? If the ROC 1987 were held today there would be protests, lawsuits, calls to ban the ride and ridecamp would be up in arms :)? The ROC 1987 became the stuff of legends...peaks in Utah became 14,000 ft high.? I understand this because I've done the same thing with the 1984 spring XP and every BigHorn ride I ever rode.? I thought that was part of the adventure.? I sure miss people with that attitude.? Oh, I know you're out there, you like-minded folks, but we're a dying breed in this sport.? I saw this great attitude in the stories of this year's Death Valley ride.? They "bragged" about the rocks and the wind and the dust, trailers stolen and the lack of water.? It's become a part of their endurance legend: to be told, retold, exaggerated and lied about for years to come.? They were proud to have experienced it whether they completed or not.? And, I love them for it!

Cindy Collins