[RC] [RC] Serious Question//Cardiac Pacemaker in Endurance - Patti

I saw some interesting discussion about pacemakers and exercise on http://www.pacemakerclub.com/index.php (a support group, there is no medical endorsement).
Early on you have to be cautious not to dislodge the leads (the ones I've seen have little fish hook thingies that hook into the myocardium) - we had our patients wear a sling for a while, then lifting restrictions, then progressing to full activity after six weeks or so.

The risk an individual is willing to take for themselves is one issue. Some aspects can be mitigated - wearing a safety vest, having a well mannered/trained unflappable horse, using cardiac rehab to learn your own limitations, being in otherwise great physical condition, etc. While any horse-related activity can be hazardous you can do some risk management and don't have to become a "cardiac cripple".

But you also need to consider how your willingness to accept risk to yourself may affect others.
Will the rides chosen put you out of reach of medical assistance in case of malfunction? Are you able to tolerate a period of malfunction long enough to get to medical help without putting others, who may stop to assist you, at risk? Would/could your medical condition compromise the ride or other riders? Could your horse make it home without you?

I think many of us (unless it would likely jeopardize me or my horse) would support someone doing what they love most to the best of their ability despite the potential risk.

Patti K
Vail AZ