[RC] The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race/Thanks - Karla Watson

Suzanne, you need to read the Great American Horse Race of 1976. I had it once but resold it on ebay. Can someone loan her a copy or sell yours to her? It was about a large group of people that set out across the US on a horse race that you could only take 2 horses (or mules) and you had to ride one and pony the other. They would camp wherever for the night and ride thru all sorts of strange places. It was an amazing feat and done before heart rate monitors, endurance tights, ez ride stirrups and beet pulp. I'm sure the horse and riders would of done much better had they had the advantages we have today but they had a great time and I didn't read or hear about horses that were seriously hurt. I heard it was a big party too! I rode with Hope Lundquist a few years ago and she told me a quite a bit about it. What fun! That would be a great book for you to read. Its out of print but many copies are floating around on ebay or from other riders. Can someone loan her a copy??
----------Karla Watson/Dreadfully WET and DARK Oregon