RE: [RC] [Newbie Question - Christina McCarthy

My horse has a very comfortable slow trot, which is very nice to sit to (but way too slow for competition).  I have been training him to extend his normal trot to cover more ground which has taken time and practice.
Now he can go for longer on an extended trot before he brakes into the canter...When he starts doing this I know he is getting tired and cantering is easier for him.

Christina McCarthy

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:56:40 -0700
From: desertridingal@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [Newbie Question

Well, maybe I should pay closer attention to the words I choose...sit the jog. :)

The horse I have now does not know how to do a nice smooth jog, he is very green on the trail, but has a very nice extended gait, so I usually post or stand, however, I have ridden quite a few that are built to move at a nice smooth sweeping jog that you could sit all day. It depends on the horse and the training.

PattyP