RE: [RC] Stallion Quality--Disposition - melanie . O

The owner of my 4 yo colt's sire told me NOT to breed to him unless I was
absolutley sure I wanted a horse that was smart, playful, into everything,
afraid of nothing, and bay because those were the attributes that EVERY one of
his foals had.  It didn't matter that he had great breeding, conformation,
training, or what the mare brought to the table, all of his foals were EXACTLY
like him in those regards.  I was warned that his foals could be very
challening if one did not know how to handle such a bold and playful horse.

And sure enough that is what I got.  Last weekend, while trimming everyone,
Cinco spent the whole time bugging me, bugging the horse being trimmed, chewing
on my sunglasses, drinking ouf of my water bottle, and in general coming back
with a grin on his face every time I drove him away.  Today, while unloading
hay, he chewed on the hay straps, tried to still a tire iron, ate the tassel
off my ski hat, and in general came back with a grin on his face every time I
drove him away.  I could go on and on...  and, needless to say, we've also had
our disagreements.

But let me mention that, with only a handful of rides (really "sits"), he went
on a bona fide trail ride this fall where he led and followed, climbed up and
down hills, crossed water, crossed bridges, crossed pavement, threaded through
rocks and trees all without even batting a eye.  He also walks over and under
tarps, self-loads, herds anything that moves, and learns new things in a
fraction of the time it takes other horses.

Oh, and he's bay.  >;->

So yes, he looks just like his daddy, but as I was warned, he ACTS just like
his daddy too.

melanie