RE: [RC] The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race/Thanks - Suzanne Avery DVM

I wanted to say to everyone thank you for all of your great advise. I think
this list is great!!!

Laney had a couple of questions.
2. Just because you plan to enter 2 endurance rides this spring, doesn't
mean that you will complete them, so have a
back-up plan!

You are so right, I may not end up completing the 50 milers. I do have one
or two spare horses I am taking if I need them during the Santa Fe. My
spares do not have the condition of Willie. The 50's will in fact give us a
go/no go for the Santa Fe. Hopefully, Willie and I can make it. Willie is a
"using" horse. My son in spring uses him on the neighbors ranch for calving
season. He rides him to work, at a dead run, 4 miles and works cattle all
day, then at a dead run he rides him home. Well actually slows him down
before he gets home because he knows I will get after him for running Willie
so much. My son is learning and beginning to take it easier with Willie.
When we harness Willie up we usually take two passengers and use a carriage
that weights approximately 150 pounds. So basically Willie pulls 450 pounds
around a 10 mile loop at a working or extended trot, only walking downhills.
Willie placed 6th at our local CTR this last fall, this was pretty good for
us as I consider we are the "local greenhorns" for this ride. Willy has grit
and heart, hopefully he will make it through the 50 mile vet checks. He is a
panting fool and all business. His business like attitude is his downfall as
he sometimes will not drink and cares not to graze when I offer it to him.
Hopefully someone bigger then us from up above will be watching because we
will be needing it.
One good thing is I do feel like I have an advantage over the last time I
did ride in a 50 mile endurance ride so many, many years ago. First off
Willie is a much better horse then the one I rode and with my "ridercamp
short course in endurance riding", I now will either be in tights or be
wearing something to prevent pain and chafing under my jeans. The one draw
back is I am several years older.  Many years ago I was really a newbie with
"zero" education on the sport. I entered a 50 miler and I rode in jeans,
english saddle, with no nylons under my jeans. No one rode in tights in
those days and I had never heard of wearing nylons. Needless to say my legs
were chafed, for several days, hmmm, maybe it was weeks. Anyway the pain is
still fresh in my mind and that is why I am looking for help now. With all
of that said would you believe I took a 4th place in that endurance ride. No
there were not a huge number of horses entered and someone took a lovely QH
with lots of muscle. That horse was pulled out of the race due to tying up.
Information on endurance riding was not as readily accessible as it is
today. What great advances have been made. BTW, I did buy a book post-ride.
I dug it out today. It is Endurance and Competitive Trail Riding, by
Wentworth Tellington and Linda Tellington-Jones, copywrite 1979. Interesting
book, here is what they discuss about clothing: One of the greatest
contributions to endurance riding has been the development of women's panty
house, used commonly today by men as well as women to avoid chafing.
Although pantyhose were not invented for endurance riders, one could say
that they are generally accepted as perfect for the sport. The only drawback
is they are a bit awkward when you have to relieve yourself on the trail.
I guess the sport of endurance riding has come a long way.

Laney, you talked of carrying two water bottles on your person. I have
thought about using my military Camelbak. Has anyone ever used one? I
thought I would try it but it may be to hard on ones back.

Something else just occurred to me: what kind of horse hauling/living
arrangement do you have? one horse and yourself and >to get ready for the
next day. Wandering around the village hunting for what you need, wastes a
lot of time.  Ideally, you would bring all the beet pulp and feed you will
need with you from the beginning as well as a good supply of hay and water.

My husband and possibly my son will be helping me as crew. We have two
trailers and we are not sure right now which one we will take. When we go to
a combined driving events we take our stock trailer as it is 24 foot; plenty
of room for horses/carriage. We also have an 18 foot 3 horse slant with a
currently unfinished small living area. Our plan for the living area is only
to put in a mattress in gooseneck and table/chairs.
The positive points for the 24 foot trailer is we can haul more
hay/equipment and the horses will have more room when hauled. They would be
side by side in an eight foot section. The slant is a bit more confining for
a long distance. In both trailers we can set up living quarters easily.
Horses/stock have never really been hauled in the front of the stock
trailer, we use this area for living quarters. Table, chairs, cot, sleeping
bags, and a grill are all we need. I am not sure if showers will be
available. If not, in the past we have set up a sunshower system in that
part of the trailer where the horses are housed. We do have a water
container that houses several gallons of water for the horses. We hopefully
will be pretty much self sufficient and while I am riding Jim can restock on
low items. We have rope/tree saver line to tie the horses out if trees are
available. I hate to tie them to the trailer because they keep you awake at
night. I guess we could also set up an electric fence type unit if there was
room. Apparently every evening the ride organizer will have ride
participants trailer/living area already designated. This will help.

deally, you would bring all the beet pulp and feed you will need with you
from the beginning as well as a good supply of >hay and water.

Another question; How do you all feel about the Purina product Ultium?

Suzanne