Re: [RC] re: Paso fino - Karla Watson

A treeless saddle is another option. Not all gaited horses do well in them but many are doing really well with them. I went on some gaited lists to find which one the gaited people are using and successful with. They said the Barefoot and the Freeform. Both fit short backed horses well and fit the needs of the gaited back and movement. Our very short backed Paso Fino is in a Barefoot Treeless and doing very well so far with it and we've been thru 3 saddles before this one. He gaits better in it and is very comfortable. Its also very affordable and very comfortable for the rider. You can demo the Barefoot and the Freeform to try them out before buying. Good luck in your search.
-----------------Karla Watson/Portland Oregon
----- Original Message -----
To: jen
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] re: Paso fino

Jen,

On the saddle issue, it depends, of course.

First of all, it depends on how old the horse is.  If the horse is less than 8 yrs old, any saddle you buy might not fit later, so you either buy a saddle that can be re-adjusted or go cheap.

Second, an LD is not as critical as longer distances wrt saddle fit, but you still want to get the best fit you can for the money you have to spend.  So how much are you willing to spend?

Every horse is different and my experience has been the semi-quarter horse trees are a better fit than arab trees, BUT it is better to get a saddle whose tree is specifically built for a gaited horse.  They flange the front of the tree for freer action.  Other saddles either pinch the whithers or sit too low on the whithers.

I currently use a Synergist, modelled to my Paso Fino gelding. We have over 800 competitive miles on it right now, and I am very happy with it. There are a lot of used ones for sale on endurance.net that can be re-fitted, depending on tree size.

  If you don't want to spend that kind of money, check out the Crest Ridge Sonata.  It is not as comfortable for the rider, but it is fit to the horse and designed for gaited horses.

Let me know how you get on.  I have a mare that I am just starting that is extremely short backed.  I am worried that I may have to come up with a new saddle option for her.

Good luck,

-paul