From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:03:10 -0700
Subject: Re: [RC] 100 mile rides--Why don't you?

    The whole 100 mile ride issue is multi-faceted, and I won't attempt to address all the issues involved here. However, there are many reasons (not all bad ) that we have been seeing a downward trend in 100 miler participation. I sense an underlying sentiment amongst our membership that most riders hate to see this trend, even though they themselves may feel uninterested or unable to compete in one themselves. Sort of like lamenting the gradual disappearance of drive-in movie theatres across the country. We feel a sense of loss, and though we may not ever go to one again, the finality of total elimination isn't one that most people probably relish.
  The evolution of the multi-day ride has had a huge impact on the participation in 100 mile rides, for obvious reasons. One can get more miles at a multiday ride, with an overnight rest every 50 miles. No sleep deprivation, decreased crewing needs, and less fuel costs per outing, among other things.
   We can always list the reasons why we wouldn't do a 100 miler. Some folks (and their horses) are probably eliminated at the outset by physical limitations, as well as the other factors that might interfere with any recreational activity--money, time, opportunity and committment. I think it would be more productive to list the factors that one must address in order to facilitate participation in a 100 miler. Adequate training time, effective conditioning program ( that isn't interrupted by the distractions of daily life), proper feeding, well-fitting tack, personal conditioning, night riding, planning, experience, and a horse that has decent genetic potential, and the mental toughness to take on a 100. If these and other factors I've neglected to mention are adequately in place, then your chances of considering and completing a 100 mile ride go up exponentially. Talking with people who have done 100's and had a positive experience can help. And, finally, I would have to say that riding with a partner make s the whole experience more safe, doable and enjoyable for horse and rider alike. Good luck to all aspiring 100 milers. It's a riding experience like no other.   Bruce Weary