[RC] helmet "discussion" - mjwest02

I can see that we all agree it is one's own decision to ride with one or without.

I have been lucky and have not fallen (knock on wood) but I am very thankful that when I first started riding with a friend of mine she did not warn me of those sneaky tree limbs.  I quickly learned that her horse is much shorter than mine when the limb suddenly appeared at my nose!

The barn I am at gives riding lessons to all ages.  EVERY rider and parent (if under 18) watches the "First Ride, Every Ride" video.  I have told many students that an arm or leg will usually heal faster than any brain injury - and chances are - if you are around horses you are likely to become victim to a variety of injuries.   The barn rule is that if you are under 18 you MUST wear a helmet.     As a mother of 2 daughters, who are over the age of 18, I will not let them ride with me unless they have a helmet on - even though they are 18 and over.   WHY?  Because "I" will be the one by their bedside - cursing myself that I wasn't more forceful - praying that they recover fully or be taken by the grace of GOD.  Quality of life is important and no one, NO ONE would want to live like Christopher Reeves did.   Ahhhhhh, and you say - BUT HE WAS WEARING A HELMET!  Yes, however, as horrible as it was, it could have been worse - or fatal.  In his case, I wonder if at times he wished for the latter.

I would rather not wear one, but, for the same reasons I buckle up in my car and put my helmet on - I DO IT FOR THE ONES I LOVE, so they won't have to be at my bedside - grieving and taking time out of their lives.     This is the wonderful thing about FREEDOM (which we sometimes take for granted) is that we can AGREE to DISAGREE.

Mary (who enjoys all these "discussions" )