Re: [RC] Helmets . . . Again - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 2/23/2006 12:35:44 AM Central Standard Time, tiffshorse@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I've had to care for some frightening head wounds from motorcycle riders that weren't wearing helmets and that taught me a lot of lessons. Us nuc. med. techs do all the brain death studies, and once you pick up a head to position and it sounds and feels like a broken hard boiled egg shell, you tend to want to protect the old noggin.

Ugghh...but if everyone had to go through that experience, they'd likely never hesitate to wear a helmet!

The time I needed one most was 4 years ago during a 50...at a fast trot my horse stepped in a hole hidden in the grass and somersaulted...I pile-drived into the ground, landing head first.  My helmet ended up caved in on the front and split in half down the middle.  I received a broken eye-socket (from the secondary impact of my right cheekbone on the ground).  But I never had even a headache, and never lost consciousness.  That helmet saved me.  I still have it...I show it to people who don't like wearing helmets.

Dawn in East Texas