Re: [RC] What is LSD to you and other conditioning trivia - Joe Long

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:44:03 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: Lynn Salisbury lasah@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This subject has come up here recently and I'd like to hear from all
inexperienced/experienced ld/endurance riders listening.  I know that if you
don't stress the system it doesn't adapt. If all you ever do is condition at a
5 to 6 mph pace, that is what your horses' soft tissue and cardio system has
adapted to. No room for surprises. My first ride was a surprise due to the
fact that I hadn't thought of pacing in mph avg. just a flat 5.5 mph pace.
Totally unprepared.  After 5 years of dabbling in conditioning for
ld/endurance my long slow days are ~15 to 20 miles with an avg speed of ~6.5
to 7 mph. Speed days are a mix of 5 to 18 mph over 5 to 10 miles or Hill work
with a max HR of 180 - 210 with recovery periods. I recently (yesterday)
started ponying my horse from my bicycle (please don't tell me how incredibly
stupid you might think this is.  That's an entirely different subj :).  We had
a blast! Did 12 miles in 1 HR 15 mins. From his exertion level I'd consider
this any easy
day.  So, what do you consider slow/fast.  Do you condition at the same pace
or harder than you intend to ride your ride.

I was just talking to Kat about this on our last ride.  Via will be five in May,
and I'm just starting his "LSD" foundation work now.  I don't believe in much
walking for LSD, we mainly do an easy trot, with a little walking or easy
cantering mixed in for variety.  About a 6 MPH average, as measured by the GPS.

Once the foundation is there, the average speeds will increase.  By the time I'm
ready to take him on a ride I will do some of his conditioning at faster speeds
than I intend to ride during the event.

I don't believe it is necessary to condition at distances longer than about 1/3
the ride distance.  So to prepare for a 25-mile ride, ten mile conditioning
rides are enough; for a 50, 20 mile conditioning rides are enough.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx