Re: [RC] Endurance News Cover Photo - Feb 2006/Young Riders - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

The picture a quite loving moment between a horse and an eleven year old
girl.  Upon looking at the photo, if the horse were spooked by anything
behind it (enough to make it leap forward a stride or two), what might
happen?Might the lead, through which Josie has her whole arm, tighten?  It
appears to be a wet, flat lead rope which >>>>just might.

I think if you wanted to make a point you chose a pretty weak example to make
your argument, a picture of a mellow horse with a kid in a helmet leading it
and no signs of activity around it...just doesn't suit your purpose. If that's
a problem, EVERYTHING is.

I've stayed out of this debate, but I'll tell ya that I sold that horse to Amy,
and I would not have sold him to a parent who was more casual about their
child's safety than she is. When I had him for sale I told her I *think* he
might be a candidate for Josie (Whelen) to compete on, but no way I could judge
it. Amy took him on trial and rode him in a competition first. I guess Josie
was 10, 70 lbs with tack. I would never sell a horse as safe for a 5 year old
child to start an endurance ride on. I'm not sure there is such an animal. I
can think of one ride ever that *I* really felt safe at the start of.

I've done around  half of my 4000 miles with juniors...and it's been all I
could do to worry about *myself* at the start of ride. Josie (McGhee) has been
riding unassisted since she was 2. She went to her first endurance ride at 10
days. Doesn't remember not crewing. When SERA made the 8 yr. rule it was a
relief to me to have a definite date to tell her she couldn't compete until
then. She was busy anyway, setting up jumps in the yard, doing flips from the
swingset on and off her pony, having FUN instead of conditioning. Then she
turned 8 and I was not even close to wanting her in the mess of a ride start
yet. When she turned 10 I finally had a horse for her that I trusted, but still
took her to the 2nd day of a 2 day ride for her first start. I guess if a
family's only "horse" time is conditioning & competing it might make you want
them out there sooner, but my kids had access to their ponies, which they could
play on, all day every day. I'm glad my 5 year old *played* with her pony
instead of *working* an endurance horse, so no complaints about living under
SERA rules.

Angie