Re: [RC] [RC] osteoporosis - Ginny Holsman

Although I disagree with many of your statements regarding osteoporosis, since I personally know how to not only stop osteoporosis, but completely heal it, without drugs or surgery, I really love your end-quote! Most certainly, life is quite an experience. However, I personaly believe pain and suffering does not need to be part of it.

From: MarisR@xxxxxxx
To: tobytrot@xxxxxxxxx, Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   osteoporosis
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:23:38 EST

Osteoporosis is a chronic disease that probably has its start with
childbearing or even younger. There is no good way to significantly reverse the bone
loss. That said, however, there seems to be a difference between quantity
of bone and quality of bone. Bone quality can be improved dramatically, with
fracture risk reductions of 50% or more. Currenlty available weekly drugs
including Actonel and Fosamax work great. There is a new monthly pill called
Boniva. If none of them produce the desired result, there are stronger drugs
available.
None of the medications can be used without Calcium. After menopause the
current recommended dose is 1500mg per day, with Vitamin D taken with it.
Without the D, you can't absorb calcium.
None of that is any good without weight-bearing exercise. Walking,
aerobics, rollerblading, etc. My assumption is that riding counts, as it sure seems
to bear weight on my feet too, but I don't know of any studies to show it.
The exercise causes the stimuloation in the bones so that the body knows where
to put the calcium, and where bone remoeling is needed.
OK?

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and  well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up,  totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !!  "

Maris Ramsay