Re: [RC] arthritis management or go shopping? - Jody Rogers-Buttram

I think maybe we (I) need a better idea of of Mildly arthritic.  I have a mare, Aries that is what I call mildly arthitic in the rt. front fetlock.  She is coming 16 this spring, and competes fine.  I have had some problems in the past where she would come up off in that leg and I was pulled.  But, then with some supplements, and the best part, with some Legend shots before each event (about one week) she has done great.  After I put her on the Legend, she has completed every ride. (one exception, she stepped on herself at one ride and injured the leg)  But no arthritic problems.  In fact, she did the very tough 3-day 155 at Talladega this year....fantastically !!!!  She is going to the Biltmore 100 again with Angie in May, then the OD 100 with Angie, and finally, to the NC in Oct. with me on the 50 there.  So, maybe if you tried the supplements, things could work out.

Jody and the girls (who badly need good weather to ride)

PS.  If you find that breeder, I have a CMK bred mare that needs a good home, she has nice babies too.

Mary Krauss <lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The vet/chiro came out yesterday to look at my mare Salima and left me
right where I was already: frustrated. Basically Salima's probably
mildly arthritic and can be ridden some if I start using supplements
(which I've always thought of as voodoo). No one seems to think she'll
be able to hold up to lots of miles and that heavy training definitely
will worsen things for her in the long run.

I am ready to explode with frustration over not being able to commit to
this endurance thing (yes, I'm one of those people who really wants to
do 100's, notice the plural--if I don't discover hidden reserves of
mental or physical cowardice.) The choices seem simple: manage
Salima's arthritis as well as possible and ride her under her threshold
and put off more lofty goals; or try to find a nice broodmare situation
for her and go shopping for a young, ready to be brought into condition
distance horse.

Here's the catch: I love Salima very much. No one else can. She's a
pill, a pasture boss, a history of issues from poor training, and my
best friend. I want to wake up every morning and yell at her for
biting Bruiser, then give her her carrots and watch her get all dopey
over me.

My Very Supportive Husband (non-horsey variety) can't stand to work 6.5
days a week and drive up every evening past a "horse hospice". (Our
other non-endurance-horse has EPSM and doesn't seem to be responding
particularly well to the change in diet. We may have caught the
condition too late. I totally support his position on the subject.)
He also can't stand to see how mean I am to him and our human children
when I'm this frustrated. He also loves me and wants me to live my
dreams.

Any ideas? Anyone know a gentle, sympathetic, warm-hearted breeder of
Crabbet Arabians? Preferably this ideal human would live North of
Seattle....

Mary K. (a.k.a. "the whiner")