[RC] Training Partners vs. Training Solo - Jonni

I too, do both. We have to trailer to the trail system. Some days I plan and meet another endurance rider there, and other days I ride alone. If I need to work 2 horses, I pony one. When riding with the friend, she and I pace about the same. If anything, she pushes me to trot more than I do on my own sometimes. We swap who is in front. Both of us have multiple horses, so we never know which horse the other will bring, so they also get used to riding with different horses and personalities.  At the rides, I usually ride alone, only to hook up with another for short time frames, then move along. Except, my friend and I rode a 2 day NATRC ride together, and the horses did great, as they had been conditioned together.

Some areas it is tough to find someone who want to go as far and fast as you do, but I think training with another horse once and awhile does help prep them for events. Just as being able to ride alone without the horse trying to buddy up is important.