Re: [RC] girth problems - Amber Roberts

Simms, Judith wrote:

OK I need some advice here.  I have a young mare that has a girth problem.  The saddle fits well and stays put front to back and side to side no matter how loose the girth is . But the girth rides forward until it is in her armpits and starts to rub.  This happens if I’m leading, longeing or riding.  This problem just surfaced this winter.  She doesn’t seem to have changed shape or size; just hairier.  Suggestions?

My suggestion would be to go to a center fire rigging.  We use an endurance saddle with Western rigging.  But we hang the tie strap off the BACK loop of the saddle.  Run it down through the cinch and up to the front ring.  Then back down through the cinch ring and back to the back saddle loop.  Tie it off at the back.  That way you have no lumps under your leg and it helps to keep the cinch away from the armpit.

Amber