Re: [RC] working hairy horses/clipping - Jackie Causgrove

Well, there's the science of mammalian physiology to back up what you have found out for yourself (and me too).  :)

What I was a bit surprised at is that there was actually studies about clipping and its effects on thermodynamic regulations!  Too funny.  Some people will study anything.  Gotta love them science geeks.

Jackie

Lucky6mule@xxxxxxx wrote:
Jackie,    You are not alone.  I do trace clip & thus blanket all winter.  I do this because in past years when not clipping it would literally take hours of hanging out in the barn with a cooler on before my mules would dry out.  (If you think those arabs get furry.....)(Before anyone takes offense, that's meant to be funny.)  Through various years fo experiments, I like this method best---at least until I find something better.  Our horses/mules are all out 24/7.  I'v also noticed, when riding with my boarders (horses not clipped) my mules & horse not only dry faster, but are also keeping weight better on less feed.

Marirose & Mules in MI