Re: [RC] caught in the middle - EquesB

In a message dated 2/12/2006 8:00 P Eastern Standard Time, thunderhart43@xxxxxxx writes:
)...I have just learned that all of the public land in our area (a HUGE area! Ocala Nat. Forest, Lake George Cons. Land, etc.,)  is being closed off to off road vehicles, atv's etc, and will be open only to hikers, mountain bikers, and horses.  This will take effect March 31st, 2006.

Vickie,

Please log on to the Ocala National Forest website and read    http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/news/indexLinadale.shtml       there are still many miles of trails for the OHV user. If you take a look at the damage done by the sheer numbers of ORV it is quite obvious that something had to be done.

and I kinda hate those roller coaster bumps left by 4-wheelers (my husband says they're "braking bumps" caused by people gassing then braking repeatedly)

Those are called "moguls", they are caused by fishtailing the 4-wheeler. The 56 year old White Day trail has been severely damaged by 4 wheelers.

  I think there is some solution so we can all enjoy the land.
The best thing you can do is stay involved and educate those who are in the dark. Funds are being diverted by the State to pay for lands specifically set aside for ORV usage. Forestry will be looking for volunteers to help mark the motorized trails. As for the horse trails, your local distance riding organization, SEDRA, will be having workdays in Ocala in the fall.  ( We are up at the Greenways this spring) Please join us!

Jackie Baker