Re: [RC] springtime survey - Kari Hanes

I quit riding in mid Nov too - the deer hunters are too thick around here to ride after that. I always have to wait for gun season, then late bow season, then muzzleloader season ... before I venture back out sometime after January 1. With the mild weather I started riding again the second week of January. Have been going out at least once a week, twice if weather permits. I pretty much stick to the trails I'm very familiar with and don't take the loop with all the hills, stay on flat ground where I know I can manuver around the ice/ponds, etc. That first ride back in January was quite the show - we jigged sideways, forward and backward for about 5 miles! Leah's calming down now and getting into the swing of things again, it's been chilly so we pretty much stick to a good crisp walk and trot only where it's safe. We just got back from about an eight mile ride and it was great! A little chilly but well worth it.

Spring keeps threatening for a few days then it will dump another several inches of snow, this winter has been very weird weather wise in Michigan. I'm looking forward to our first ride in April - Oak Leaf Spring - and want to be prepared when it finally gets here. Hopefully we wont be riding in the snow come April!
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

larry Miller wrote:
I haven't ridden since mid Nov. BUT I am skiing, both kinds.  And the way things look, I will be skiing in March too.  The horses are bushy, full of vinegar, Maggie stands on her hind feet then takes a mighty leap and goes bucking across the pasture.  Too much ice and not enough snow so I guess I will have to stick to using my own two legs.  Jeanie