[RC] - Angela Manuel

I have owned several cribbers (all but one were off the race track), I have tried various methods to stop a horse from cribbing. What I have learned is this, put a cribbing collar on them and turn them out. They will try to crib on anything that they can hook their front teeth on, the trick is to have the collar fit snug while their head is up and lose when their head is down to graze/drink water. I have seen horses crib on metal fence post in a field of spring grass up to their knees!! I had one horse that would only crib after he ate grain and was fine the rest of the time. I try to steer clear of cribbers because I hate the damage that they do to property, the damage that they do to themselves and the potential of them teaching other horses (esp young foals) to crib. Horses that crib have a type of disorder like OCD and it makes me think that if they didn't crib they would have some other type of behavior that would be annoying like weaving??. Just a thought.

Angie