[RC] cribbing - Sky Ranch

I've had two mares in my life that I bought as broodmares, and the seller told me outright that they were cribbers.  Both came with cribbing collars on them.  I took the collars off and turned them out in our pasture, and as I hoped, they did not crib any more.  Environment has a lot to do with cribbing.  Neither of these mares (both TB's) liked being confined, and were quite happy and not cribbing when they were free to roam.  One of the mares had to be confined in the corral for a while when she injured her knee -- she started cribbing on the corral.  So, I had to put the collar on her again while she was up in the corral.

It could be that if you have a way to give the gelding more space in his new home, he will be fine.  It's a chance to take, I suppose.  He still may crib on the trailer or fence, or whatever, at a ride.  But the cribbing collars do work.  Just depends on if the horse is really what you want in every "other" way!

Good luck!

Carla Richardson
Colorado