[RC] riding and/or racing - Laney Humphrey

Just thought I'd throw out another question that perhaps Steph and John or someone else with international connections can answer.
I just realized that all I know about the sport of endurance on any other continent than North America is what I read or hear about high level FEI international competitions. What I'm wondering is what kind of people ride in local competitions in, say, France, or Australia, or Italy, or Argentina, or even the Middle East. As Bruce Weary just pointed out, our US and Canadian rides include people with all sorts of agendas, only a few of whom are seriously competing for first place and BC. Is that also true of rides in other countries or are all the riders out on the trail in hot pursuit of top placing and a spot on their country's international team?
My point is that perhaps the concern over riding vs. racing is not just an American concern. Or maybe we are the only ones who see it as something to worry about. I'm really curious now to learn more about what our sport is like in other parts of the world. Steph & John, are there websites that could be linked off endurance.net that would give ride statistics in other countries? Does anyone know of any effort being made to collect statistics about the sport world-wide?
Laney