[RC] Endurance Rides or Endurance Races? - Kathleen

Title: Endurance Rides or Endurance Races?

I have been involved in endurance (off and on) since 1983.  There have been times I was definitely endurance racing and there have been times I was definitely endurance riding.  I believe the beauty of the AERC system is that both forms of endurance are supported with recognition and awards programs.  Covering the whole gambit allows us as riders to adjust our goals to the circumstances of our lives at the timeincluding our horses age, condition, talent and our own health, time and financial issues.  The current system (rewarding career mileage and seasonal points) allows us all to set individual goals and be competitive on any level that works for us.  This broad focus seems to encourage people of very diverse backgrounds to participate on a very diverse array of horses.  We also seem to be getting better and better at focusing on the welfare of the horses and education to further improve the welfare of the horses.  AERC seems to be growing as an organization (Equus article) therefore the programs available must be working for North Americans…”if it aint broken, dont fix it seems to apply.

I am starting a new horse (again) this year.  I am glad that I can ride her on slow 50s and earn credit towards her lifetime mileage.  Someday she may be able to race, what fun that will bebut if she isnt capable, I am glad I can still work on mileage programs with her and enjoy her company on the trail.

Kathleen

AERC #717