Re: [RC] Eventing vest info wanted - Truman Prevatt

After I got busted up I got one. It was about the only one I could find that fit correctly and believe me Ocala has a lot of tack stores with eventing vest. It has panels that fit into the vest. You can fit up to two in the back and up to two in the front. You can tailor your protection. The panels are solid but have holds for airflow. The vest is a net fabric to vent. While it is hotter than riding without one - it is not as hot as most.

Since my ribs were busted where the back panels cover, I removed one front to make it a little cooler. Eventually I removed both front panels and it wasn't bad. I don't wear it any longer since I'm pretty well healed and I no longer ride the horse that busted me up.

All in all, however, I am not sure any vest would have kept me from getting the busted ribs given the way I fell and the deceleration I underwent when I hit the bank. I hit the sand and still get busted so I do expect the vest would have prevent that. However, I did feel better with it when I started back.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
*When I was trying to civilize Maverick, who bucked whenever he perceived a scary stimulus, I purchased a cheap one. I still have it. The problem with the cheap one is that the foam is in large pieces. It is quite uncomfortable. Sort of like wearing medieval amour.*
**
*I would recommend purchasing one with smaller pieces just for comfort.*
**
*The other obvious problem is they are hot. So you have to decide if protection from broken ribs is worth it. *
**
*My eventual solution was to admit that I am not as macho as I once was and to sell the horse to my trainer. To counter the horror stories of horses sold that end up in packing plants, I got an Xmas card this year showing him happily trail riding with the trainer's mother aboard. He just needed more time and work than I could risk my body on.*
**
*Ed*
*Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875*
*(406) 642-9640*
*ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us*

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil