Re: [RC] [RC] Garmin Forerunner 301 - April

Hi, Marlene,

I used a 301 all last year. This year, I've been using the 305, but still have a 301 in the household. The 301 won't work with any other of the horse monitors, as you've found out. They use a CardioSport Fusion strap. Well, they're compatible with CardioSport Fusion anyway. But that's the only compatible model I've heard of.

I don't bother with altitude readings from a GPS unit that doesn't have a barometric altimeter built in. When I upload my data to MotionBased.com, I use their known elevation data rather than the unit elevation data and get more reliable data after-the-fact.

I use Roger's Transmitter Adapter kit for both my 301 and my 305. Works very well. I have 2 kits. One for each model. It's not really transferable, meaning once it's on, just leave it on. You can take it off, though, so don't worry about permanently changing your unit or destroying the warranty, cause it won't. Garmin just won't help you with getting it to work on your horse. ;-) But you shouldn't have any problems if you're experienced with other horse heart rate monitors.

On my Flickr account, you can see some pictures of my 305 adapted for my horse using Roger's basic adapter kit. I didn't spring for the Deluxe Kit, but sometimes I wish I had!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/endurancerider/sets/72157594284445696/

Have fun!
April
Nashville, TN