[RC] Garmin Forerunner 301 - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
Last year I didn't get to do any endurance competitions at all because we bought a boarding facility and were too busy.  This year we can afford help, so I am determined to get back into the fun.  So my first step was to buy a new toy - this way I gotta justify the purchase and go to rides, right?

Anyhow, I got a Garmin Forerunner 301 - it is very cool!  I need to get the setup to do HRM readings from the horse still though - I was hoping it would pick up either of the other brands of transmitters I have but no luck.  I was playing with it today and one thing I noticed was that the altitude reading was wacky.  Like changing several hundred feet at a time.  I was in a car, not on horseback, but still not climbing like that!  And it just varied up and down by huge amounts.  Just sitting still it changes over a range of 75-100'

I've got an eTrex Vista as well and I know that altitude is not the most reliable, but I never had one vary like that.  It was in the right range, around 5200', which is correct.  We are at the end of a big storm so don't know if that had an impact.  I tried to find out what this model uses to determine altitude, but haven't found the info.  Maybe I just didn't get enough sattelites?

Anyone have any ideas?  I'd also like to hear any experience with setting up with Roger's HRM kit for this model.

Anyone want to buy my Timex GPS - I don't think I'll be using it anymore!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com