[RC] bikes and horses, horses are so bad? - Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS

From: Vchorsegal@xxxxxxx

Subject: [RC]   Horse & Bikes- What Works for Me !!

I have had a lot of good luck with food motivated horses.  I hire my friends'

teenage boy to ride his undersized bicycle near the paddock or pen of the

horse i want to teach about bikes.  At first I have him keep quite a distance,

then gradually cut down on the size of the comfort zone.  We have the rider put

horse treats in his pocket, and park near the pen &  quietly offer them to the

horse.  After a few

moments, the horses will start to estimate where he will park & meet him

there for the treat.  After a few more tries the bicyclist can pretend to wipe

out, drop the bike, etc.   It's great fun for the kid, and safer than me riding

the dang bike.  I think it's important to have the bike do lots of things.  I

have seen horses used to bikes freak out if the rider goes off, so better to

expose them to that too !  Piggy horses will eventually learn that dealing with

something weird can earn you special treats !

Happy Horsey New Year !!  - Heidi Helly

Absolutely love this theory, rather than teaching bike riders and hikers that horses are weird teach horses that bike riders and hikers are just fine, no big deal.  I've often suggested having a block party for all the neighborhood kids, bike riding, playing Frisbee and catch, great training... I don't have any kids the right age now and have to do the bike riding myself....  Believe me when the horses see me on a bike they've seen it ALL, been there, done that.