Re: [RC] solar chargers - Truman Prevatt

They should be connected through a controller. No source of current should ever be directly connected to a battery without a controller. A controller will measure the voltage in your battery and when it is charged it will cut off the current to the battery. At that point it will become a "maintainer" and keep the battery maintained at the proper level and prevent "sufation." The controller in your converter should work exactly the same way. The good controllers use short pulses of current on the order of miliseconds (one milisecond = 1/1000 of a second) to maintain the batteries instead of cycling off and on. If you are overcharging you should check your controller.

An AGM battery (dry cell) will hold up much better than a gel battery which will hold up much better than a wet batter (what most people have) battery.

Truman

Ann Blankenship wrote:

We have two solar panels connected to two deep cell batteries on our class A and they work great. HOWEVER, they charge All The Time so you must remember to check the water in your batteries regularly (like monthly and maybe more often in hot weather) or they will dry out. They aren’t cheap to replace either!

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.