[RC] edema in donkey - Dawn Simas

I am afraid I cannot help you with a diagnosis, but I have experience with a similar edema.  My gelding in his late 20's started getting these.  Legs stocked up, primarily the back ones, and a ventral edema.  I told the vet when he was out for something else, this was years ago, and I don't recall his response, but it wasn't of concern.  He had seen it in geriatric horses.  The ventral line is prone to respond that way, so I would suspect more of something systemic than an injury...  But in Jericho's case, he behaved normally, but tended to have boughts with it in his old age.  Less active, less circulation.  Encouraging him to move about the pasture and hydrotherapy on the legs when possible was the only treatment suggested.

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue