Re: [RC] Truck question - Dyane Smith

I ended up with a Ford (F350) just because it was the only truck (other than the medium duty's) that had enough GVWR to accommodate the pin weight on my 4 horse gooseneck.  Jonni has given excellent information on this in a previous post.  You really need to know the weight of the truck and that (it turns out) is very difficult to find out on a new truck.  I would imagine the owner would let you take it to a local truck scales if you were buying used.

To give an idea of the difference truck weight makes, my 1989 F250 has a GVWR of 8800# but it only weighs 4900, so I have 3900# left for pin weight, passengers, fuel and gear.  In my case, that was plenty.  But the new trucks weigh a ton, well several tons and the GVWR has not increased that much.

BTW, although the Ford is fine, I did love the Dodge Quad cab and would have bought it in a heartbeat if I could have made it work for me.

FWIW,
Dyane