Re: [RC] Quiet Nights at camp/Generators - Mary Ann Spencer

I personally find the hum of the generator to hide all the other noises in camp.. like trucks starting up, horses whineying..not sure of that darn spelling, and of course those dogs.  Not sure why one would expect a campout full of horses to be some sort of quiet like if one was back packing into a wilderness area.  Dogs taken to rides should be sleeping next to their owners or left at home-IMHO!
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Sidio
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:22 PM
Subject: [RC] Quiet Nights at camp/Generators

Gee in all the posts on this topic, we have heard lots and lots about those darned noisy generators. Here we are trying to enjoy the peace and serenity of the wilderness and  somebody has to go  and ruin it with a putt putt gas engine .

But in my horse camping/endurance riding  experience, there is (WOOF WOOF!!) another type of noise pollution (OWWWW!!! OW OW OWWWWWWW!!!) that has caused me to lose way more sleep than all the freaking generators in ( ARF ARF ARF) all of  (YAP YAP YAP!! ARRROUUOOO) North America.

I like dogs. They have their place. Howling at 2:30 am at deer or armadillios stirring in the brush in not my favoritie place or time to become aware of everybody who brought their dogs with them. Especially since the good folks who brought their dogs don't have them inside  their own rigs, but have left them outside for the audio  entertainment of anybody within a mile or two. The owners may plaintively call out  " Shush Fluffy. Be quiet Killer." but they usually give up and accept their hounds calls to the wild. Now if their beloved pooch was indoors with them, and that insessant noise was bouncing off their inside walls, they probably would take more affirmative action to shut that noise off. Instead they just go back inside and leave Rover to continue the chorus with all his/her friends singing harmony.

I would gladly accept a ride managers rule that anyone who turns on their generator at 2:00 am should be flogged through a gauntlet of sleep deprived endurance riders...., along with any owners of outside dogs barking madly at boogers in the night.  There have been several nights that I wouldn't have been able to hear any generator running over the  chaos of all the barking dogs.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO