[RC] another bee question - LRN8554

Do we have any bee experts out there to answer a basic question?  Do bees return to the same ground nest year after year?  We have a trail up in the mountains that has what I call ground yellow jackets on it, they come out of a hole in the ground, and you can't really get away due to a ledge on one side and a cliff on the other.  Needless to say we have had some really fun experiences there.   Now that it is winter we are using the trail again but I'm thinking ahead to next summer.  Any ideas?  Linda in SE Tennessee