[RC] Eliminating risk of preg... - Kathie Ford

Well this is a very interesting post to me. It interests me because my first horse I ever had, and still have is a big 16'1 mare that I adopted in 95. Since I had adopted her from a humane society there was basically no real history on her and even her age was estimated between 4-6. That was 11 years ago.

However, what brought her to my mind reading this post is that when I had her vet checked once I got her home by my own vet (I did have a pre-purchase exam where I adopted her but was not present on that day..was 2 hours away from where I lived) I had mentioned to them I had no real history, not even knowing what real breed she as. We figured some sort of TB cross. But, as the vet examined her, looking her over thoroughly, she said "well, this is a little history, she's had a caslick's done!" I said, "a what?" never heard of such a thing but she continued on by showing me her scar from the incision and stitching.

So I went home and got into some books and it mentioned one of the reasons for a caslick's is to prevent windsucking and it was common on the track. We still had/have no proof of her background, breed or anything else. She doesn't look like a full TB either but I guess could be.

Also, one week after I got her and had her boarded at a ranch in Los Gatos, an appalousa that was put out into pasture with her (without my knowledge) tried to breed her. He was a gelding too. I ran over, but did notice that she seemed not to be bothered by it, something she may have experienced prior? Didn't know.. Fine thing to find out your mare is a hussy...and..this was before the vet came out and told me she'd been stitched! Boy, what a greenie I was. Had learned a lot in just a few weeks having her!

Anyway, I would have loved to have bred her as she is a nice mare, very elegant looking. But since I had no real purpose and the "discovery" was made, just made no sense anyway. Oh, and just to note, her reproductive conformation seems normal.

kathie