RE: [RC] Eliminating risk of mare impregnation - heidi

Yes, you COULD talk to a lawyer... But the nitwit who periodically lets his skinny Shire stallion/herd get loose - doesn't have the money to pay for coggins, much less any money for me to collect through a lawsuit.. I'd just be out vet bills + lawyer/court fees... As my lawyer has always joked - 'It's EASY to get a verdict for compensation - can take years/never collect most of it..'

On the other hand, prostaglandin shots are cheap, effective, and don't need to be done unless the the mare actually does get bred--and there are overwhelming odds against it happening.

MY stallions were all well-trained... Then I decided to get out of the 'breeding business' since there's so MANY unwanted horses around... Either sold or gelded my studs.. I do board one champion Morgan stud.. Like you, I HAVE proper facilities for containment - and have personally never had an accident here. But you NEVER know.......
Even with good containment, with 14 stallions and intact colts here, I have had one get loose on occasion.  But good containment also means that the mares have a decent fence, and in 35 years in the breeding game, I've never had an "accident" either.

And I have been at ApHC shows where stallions got loose and ran around all evening. I've also heard of MANY horses getting loose from electric corrals at AERC rides. It's just a matter of time when it's a stud, and not a gelding, who gets loose.
Stallions can and do get out.  And I've seen loose stallions at rides.  Heck, I've even had a loose stallion of my own at rides a couple of times.  But have yet to hear of a mare getting bred.  Prob'ly somebody will come up with a story of one that has--but in 30+ years of the sport being in existence, I'd bet you could count the times on one hand and have fingers left over.  Last time I had a stallion of mine get loose at a ride, it was "Junior"--and he had a habit of rubbing his lead rope and popping the snap, if it was a spring snap instead of a bull snap.  I accidentally tied him with one, and in the night, he went quietly trekking off in search of alternate flavors of food.  The ride manager came up to my rig with him in tow (not even a lead rope) laughing his head off--told me that somebody had showed up with Junior at his rig (nope, no lead rope--had just taken hold of his halter, since he was gentle as a puppy dog) and had asked if the RM recognized the horse.  He told the RM that he had found him quietly sharing his gelding's hay.  "Oh, yeah," he said, "that's Heidi's stallion."  He said that the guy shrieked "STALLION??!??" and let go of the halter as if it were an electric fence.  RM said it was the funniest thing he ever saw.

I do remember a really rank stallion that got loose at a ride in Oregon back in the late 70s--I was riding a stallion then, too (Junior's dad) and had him tied on the opposite side of our old Miley two-horse (since that is how we camped back then) from one of my mares that a friend of mine was riding.  Heard him raise a ruckus as he was likely concerned about "his" mare, and dashed out in the night to find the silly loose stallion mounted on somebody's gelding about three rigs down.  Go figure.  But that's as close as I've ever seen to an accident at a ride.

And since I've started to gallop my mares for several miles at a time, the two local vets I've consulted have recommended the sew-up in conjunction with the PZP vaccine - to elimminate the possibility of wind sucking. From my days on the race track, I do recall the majority of fillies/mares being sewn without ill effects. (and it's a 'barrier' to breeding as well - IF - the PZP isn't totally effective..)
An archaic, barbaric process that is not indicated in 99% of the mares to which it is done.  If it were arbitrarily done to female human athletes, we would call it female genital mutilation.  As to being a "barrier" to breeding--hogwash.  An aggressive stallion will simply mount and thrust until something tears--and that very well COULD injure your mare.

I'm a former user of Norplant as well as BC pills. I've suffered no ill effects from long-term (5+ years of using one, then 10 years use of the other) usage of either. My sister/mother both used them as well, with no ill-effects. So I'm a firm proponent of these forms of Birth control. The BLM has been using the PZP for many years, with few problems. So it has a good track record.

Fine.  By the same token, giving prostaglandin to mares has a great "track record" and few risks--and isn't something you will likely HAVE to do anyway, since odds are your mare won't get bred.  But tell me, would you voluntarily sew your own vulva shut as a means of birth control?   ........I didn't think so.

Heidi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=