[RC] Eliminating risk of mare impregnation - Spottedracer

Yes, you COULD talk to a lawyer... But the nitwit who periodically lets his skinny Shire stallion/herd get loose - doesn't have the money to pay for coggins, much less any money for me to collect through a lawsuit.. I'd just be out vet bills + lawyer/court fees... As my lawyer has always joked - 'It's EASY to get a verdict for compensation - can take years/never collect most of it..'

MY stallions were all well-trained... Then I decided to get out of the 'breeding business' since there's so MANY unwanted horses around... Either sold or gelded my studs.. I do board one champion Morgan stud.. Like you, I HAVE proper facilities for containment - and have personally never had an accident here. But you NEVER know.......

And I have been at ApHC shows where stallions got loose and ran around all evening. I've also heard of MANY horses getting loose from electric corrals at AERC rides. It's just a matter of time when it's a stud, and not a gelding, who gets loose.

And since I've started to gallop my mares for several miles at a time, the two local vets I've consulted have recommended the sew-up in conjunction with the PZP vaccine - to elimminate the possibility of wind sucking. From my days on the race track, I do recall the majority of fillies/mares being sewn without ill effects. (and it's a 'barrier' to breeding as well - IF - the PZP isn't totally effective..)

I'm a former user of Norplant as well as BC pills. I've suffered no ill effects from long-term (5+ years of using one, then 10 years use of the other) usage of either. My sister/mother both used them as well, with no ill-effects. So I'm a firm proponent of these forms of Birth control. The BLM has been using the PZP for many years, with few problems. So it has a good track record.

- LP