Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Wrist GPS - April

Maybe so, but Garmin seems to have done it.

They have changed the GPS chip they are using in all their new units, the Forerunner 205 and 305 units included. They are now using an SiRF III chip. These units with the new GPS chips are brand new in 2006 and are performing extremely well in wooded and urban canyon environments. There was an issue where the units would not re-acquire satellites on the move, but that has been remedied with an update downloadable from the internet.

I have compared my 305 to the 301 and the 305 out-performs the 301 in every test except for the most open of environments where they are similar. I used to get errant track points as well, but that is pretty much a thing of the past for me using this new unit.

The units are more expensive, but I think they're worth the extra money for the accuracy they provide.

April
Nashville, TN
http://www.tracetribute.com
http://endurancerider.blogspot.com