Re: [RC] Physical violence at Blackwater Boogie! - Sisu West Ranch

"...but if they mess with me too much, I can shut their job down !!!!..."

I am a Water Commissioner aka. Ditch Rider.  Sometimes people get very upset when they get less water than they want.  They get even more upset when you tell them they have to spend lots of money for maintenance.

I have had very little trouble.  I just make sure that I let them rant.  If I am unsure tell them I will check.  Eventually, I just tell them what will be and suggest they talk to the judge.  I have not yet had to remind anyone that MT law says I can shut off their water.

It does help that I am 6', and have a commanding voice.

When I first started I had the good fortune to be asked by a rather gossipy neighbor if I rode the ditches armed.  I told her that of course I was because there were Moose up the creek.  Now without threatening anyone (a bad legal thing to do) I'm sure that everyone on the creek knows that I am not to be messed with.

Another thing I have noticed over the years is that some people get into trouble by either starting out confrontationally.  Like the little boy who says "you and what army?..."   Others, more often women, think they are more firm than they are.  They say things like: "Excuse me, I am having trouble sleeping, my baby is sick and .....If it is not too much trouble could you possibly consider turning off the generator?"  when they really should have said: "The rule in this camp is that all generators must be turned off at 10PM.  Please turn yours off".  Notice a simple declarative sentence, no misunderstanding, no wiggle words.

If this doesn't work  you then get the authorities (RM, Park Ranger)

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875